July 21, 2021
Daily Reading: Proverbs 24-26
For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors there is safety.
Being safe is a never-ending quest. Twice in the book of Proverbs it is recorded that in the multitude of counsellors there is safety. When the Lord repeats Himself there is cause to stop and pay attention. Below are five thoughts on this idea of counsellors.
1. The bigger the decision, the more counsellors sought is better. Buying a stick of gum at the corner store is one thing. Buying a house is another. Life choices like who to marry, where to go to college, whether or not to go into the armed services are huge. They set the course of a life. Young people would do well to enlist a multitude of counsellors while making these life choices.
2. Allow counsellors to be honest. When asking for counsel let the one you ask for advice know that you want their honest assessment. Tell them up front that you need their advice even, and especially if they think it is negative toward you or your decision. But also let them know that they should not be offended if after other counsel, prayer, and thought you do not take their advice. This is a two-way street.
3. Seek out counsellors of different ages, educational levels, and socio-economic conditions. Especially make sure that they are not the same age as you. A fifty-year-old will see things differently than a twenty-year-old. The twenty somethings need the perspective of the fifty somethings, and the fifty somethings need the perspective of the twenty somethings.
4. Choose counsellors that are both experts in the field and some that are not.
5. Make your decision based upon the preponderance of advice received. The biggest decision you will probably ever make is the one you do not like. But if the advice received from your multitude of counsellors tells you no. Listen! But if God’s Word tells you yes, obey! However, if you choose the right type of counsellors very seldom will their advice be contrary to the Lord’s. After all, He leads through the multitude of counsellors, that is His advice on the matter.
If safety is your desire; seek the advice of a multitude of counsellors.
Until tomorrow, live for Christ today.